Green Card Q&A

There is still so much uncertainty surrounding Brexit and with this in mind, we thought we should update you on the motor insurance implications when driving abroad in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

You may have already seen or heard that if you plan on driving outside of the UK after 31 October 2019, you will need to obtain a Green Card from your motor insurer. We have listed some of the questions you might have surrounding these pieces of green paper, so hopefully, this will help cut through the noise and provide you with some clarity.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an internationally recognised document which provides proof of insurance in Europe.

How long is a Green Card Valid for?

A Green Card is valid for the period specified on the document and can only be provided up until your renewal date. If your renewal is due during your trip, you will need to obtain a new green card from your next insurer.

Will I need a Green Card when driving in the EU after Brexit?

Yes - If the UK leaves without a deal on the 31st October, a green card will be required in order to prove that you have valid insurance when driving in the EU or EEA or any of the following countries: -

Andora, Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Israel, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.

Do I need a Green Card for travelling across the Irish border?

When travelling from Northern Ireland to Southern Ireland, drivers are required to hold a Green Card. However, this is not a requirement for drivers travelling from Southern Ireland to Northern Ireland due to an agreement between the UK Government and the Irish Motor Insurers Bureau.

Do I need to tell you that I intend to drive in the EU after the 31st October?

Yes – Please get in touch with your usual contact to obtain a physical copy of the green card for your journey. We recommend that you request a Green Card at least 1 month before you travel to ensure that there is enough time for it to reach you in the post. Whilst we are able to email a copy of the green card, it is important to note that it must be printed on edge to edge green paper. Printing your document on white paper, in black and white, or leaving a white border may invalidate your document.  

Do I need to carry my registration documents and Licence when driving in the EU after Brexit?

Yes – You should always carry your vehicle log book (V5C) or Vehicle hire Certificate (VE103) in addition to your UK Driving Licence. You may also require more than one international driving permit. For guidance on international driving permits, please visit the Department for Transports website.  We also recommend that you carry details of your breakdown policy, an authorisation letter (if you are driving a company car) and your travel insurance documents.

Do you charge a fee for issuing a Green Card?

No – Green cards will be provided free of charge.

What can I do if I lose my Green Card whilst away from the UK?

A new Green Card can be issued as a PDF via email but please remember that it must be printed on green paper in order to be valid.

What happens if I travel without a valid green card?

If you travel without a green card, you could be stopped by local police, have your vehicle seized and face a fine or prosecution for driving without insurance. Whilst it is possible to purchase an insurance policy abroad, this may not be the easiest or cheapest option.  

Do I need a separate Green Card for Each Vehicle and Trailer?

You will need a green card for each vehicle and any commercial trailer weighing 750kg or above and all trailers weighing 3,500kg or more. Trailers which require a green card will need to be registered with the DVLA and issued with a registration plate prior to travelling abroad. This does not apply to all EU counties so please check the trailer registration guidance on the government website before your journey.

Are UK vehicle insurance policies still suitable for driving abroad?

You should check your policy to ensure it provides for the minimum standards of cover when travelling within the EU.

Do I need a GB Sticker for my vehicle when travelling in the EU after Brexit?

Yes – Even if your number plate has a GB or European logo, you are still required to display a GB sticker on the rear of each vehicle or trailer.


Require a Green Card

If you are planning on driving your vehicle abroad and don't already have a Green Card, please complete the form below and we can request one from your insurers. 

Please note that we are only able to obtain a Green Card for you if we are your insurance broker for your vehicle. 


Need a Green Card

If you have a question or would like to request a Green Card, please speak to your usual A&T contact or give us a call.